Sacramento Zoo Zoom Results

This morning I ran the Sacramento Zoo Zoom 5k run with my daughter. My goal was to break 30 mins. I didn't quite make it, but came close.

Overall Place: 400/1172
Age Group Place: 24/44
Age Group: 45-49
Time: 30:25.2
Ave Pace: 9:49 min/mile

Being my first race in a very long time, I learned a little about preparation. I was nervous and excited to do the race. Last night I made sure I had our clothes laid out, the chips on our shoes, and my iPod and Nike+ in the car. We got to the the race early and found parking. I was interested in seeing the layout and the start.

We walked around, met Greg Chance (what a nice guy!), and soaked in the atmosphere. One last stop at the port-a-potty and we stretched out a little. 10 minutes before the start, I pulled out my iPod. I plugged in my head phones, started to create a custom distance workout for 3.1 miles so i could hear the program tell me when i hit each mile. I started programing and received...a message saying that the receiver (the white thing that goes into the bottom of the iPod) needed to be attached. [MISTAKE #1] OH NO! It was in the car...how was I going to pace myself?


Luckily, I have run to Robert Ullery's Couch to 5k series enough that I knew how far I should be when the music of his podcasts changed. So, with Mr. Ullery and the course mile markers, I tried to keep a pace of 9:30 miles.

Mile 1: 9:35, ok, so far so good

Mile 2: 18:30, great, made up some time

My calves were tightening up during the third mile, so I eased my pace feeling I had ample time. [MISTAKE #2] As I approached mile 3, I pulled out my ear piece to hear the time. No one was there to call the time. I guess why would there be? The finish is just 0.1 more miles. I fumbled with my ear piece and the other side fell out. I decided I had to get them off and in my pocket. OH Crap, I couldn't get them in my pocket. I had to stop and pull out my iPod from the rear pocket of my shorts, wrap my headphones around the iPod, and slip into my side pocket. [MISTAKE #3] I actually thought I was fine with the time. As I rounded that last corner, I could hear the time being called out...29:30, 29:35, I started to increase my speed as I saw what I thought was the finish, some flags along the road. The actual finish was further off. At that point, I knew I would not make the sub 30 minute time I had sought. Three rookie mistakes that should not have occurred cost me my time. What a great experience I had with my daughter.

It was a great race. My daughter did fantastic! I will be more prepared physically and mentally for the next one and look forward to it.

Now back to the pure enjoyment of getting out and running as I prepare for the Bay to Breakers on May 17th.

Have a great week.

Brad

No comments:

Post a Comment